Your library website (kcls.org) upgraded to a new software version on April 3. This update is focused heavily on the backend tools that power our website and will not bring many changes to your experience using the site. Here's what to expect.
What has stayed the same?
- The entire catalog. This includes Search, My Account/Borrowing, Suggest for Purchase, and every other catalog feature.
- The search tool at the top of the website and catalog.
- The online event calendar.
- Menus at the top of the website and catalog, and menus/links at the bottom (‘the footer’) of the website and catalog.
- Library Hours & Locations pages.
- Basic informational pages and forms like Interlibrary Loan and About Us.
Book, movie, and music recommendations are easier to find.
Browse all similar book, movie, music, and other recommendations using a new Explore tool.
For example, click ‘Featured,’ ‘View All,’ or any of the category links (such as 'Books' or 'All Nonfiction') from this section at the top of the Books page to view similar recommendations.
View results for related recommendations on a new Explore page. Browse only the recommendations you’re most interested in by adding or removing Post Type, Audience, Related Format, Program, Genre, Topic, or Tag filters.
Note that the Explore page is not a way to search the catalog or website. To search the catalog or website, use the search tool.
The homepage is simpler.
Get to information more easily on a streamlined page with less overall content.
Find frequently used information like museum passes faster in a new quick links section at the top right.
View select recommendations focusing on adults, kids and teens, and other services in a new 'Recommended' section at the bottom.
The new version of the website works better for people with accessibility needs.
Our vendor Bibliocommons has designed, built, and tested this software upgrade with improved accessibility in mind. Patrons who make use of screen reader software, tabbed browsing, high contrast displays, magnification tools, and other assistive technologies should have a much better experience using the new KCLS website.
If you are a person with a disability and have trouble using our website or you use assistive technology and have difficulty accessing information on our website, contact our ADA Coordinator.
Questions about this change or need help using the new website?
Find answers to frequently asked questions about using the website.
A Teen Advisory Board is a group of teen volunteers who meet regularly with a librarian facilitator to offer input on library services and co-design library programs. Teen Advisory Boards help librarians create programs that meet the needs of youth in their community. These programs align with the library’s mission and goals. Contact your local library to learn more about recent events planned for and with teens.
Anyone who lives in King County can enter this contest. You do not need a KCLS library card to enter.
Public works include all of the following, executed at the cost of the agency (RCW 39.04.010):
- Improvement other than ordinary maintenance
For public works projects estimated to be under $50,000:
We only require two verbal quotations to determine the best price.
For public works projects estimated to be $50,000-$350,000:
We require a minimum of three written quotations to determine the best price. We may use our Small Public Works Roster (RCW 39.04.155) to request bids.
For projects estimated to be over $350,000:
- Mondays are Doodle. This is good for anyone who speaks English at a beginner level.
- Tuesdays are Escape Rooms. These are good for anyone who speaks and reads English at an intermediate level.
- Wednesdays are Pictionary. This is good for anyone who speaks English at a beginner level.
- Thursdays are Comics Arts. This is good for anyone who speaks English at a beginner level.
All students in grades K-12 are welcome. Books will be most appealing to students in grades K-8. A selection of books will be appealing to students in grades 6-12 who are very new to reading in English.
Still need help? Call, email, or chat with us.
This post has been updated to reflect that the update is now live.