Opened: December 19, 1983
- Designed by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
- 1916: Vashon Island Women's Club opens the Burton Rental Library in the old Hatch building
- 1944: KCLS provides library service
- 1946: Formation of library board; Vashon Island Memorial Library opens in what later becomes the Senior Center
- 1983: Opening of new, 6,196-square-foot Vashon Library at Ober Park
- 2014: Expansion of the existing Vashon Library at Ober Park to a total of 10,000 square feet
Vashon Friends of the Library
The VFOL is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization who raise money to promote and support programs at the Vashon Library. These funds are used for individual age groups and supports intergenerational programs such as Yoga in the Library, Star Wars Day, Free Comic Book Day, Harry Potter events, Tabletop Gaming, and fund a variety of presenters throughout the year who speak on subjects such as opera, social activism, and literature.
The VFOL supports the library programs through ongoing book sales. Shelves of gently used books are located by the drinking fountain in the library and can be purchased for $1 or less (cash, or check). In addition to the books for sale each day, we also hold two community book sales in the Spring and Fall and a special Mini Golf Event that has proven to be quite popular.
Anyone may become a member by filling out a membership application available at the library, or by emailing VFOL. Membership is free. Please include your name, address, phone number, and an email address. Membership is free and all donations are tax deductible. We are also able to take monetary donations at the library during regular business hours.
The Vashon Friends of the Library welcome donations of the following materials:
- Hardcover & Paperback books in Good Condition
- Audiobooks on CD
- Music CDs
- DVDs and Video Computer Games
- Comics and Graphic Novels
We are unable to accept the materials listed below:
- Books which are missing pages, smelly/moldy, warped, torn, stained, mildewed, damaged, wet, or in otherwise poor condition
- Textbooks & Reference Materials older than five years
- Reader’s Digest Condensed books or Time-Life sets
- Magazines, periodicals, or Professional Journals
- VHS Videos, Music/Language on Cassettes
- Audio Visual Media that is copied, incomplete, or without original case & notes
Receipts noting the number of items donated are available at the front desk of the library. A determination of the fair market value of donated materials for tax purposes is the responsibility of the donor.
Most donations are taken at the library during regular business hours. However, if you have a large donation (i.e. more than 3-4 bags of books), please call/contact us. If you would like to make a book donation and are unable to travel to the library, please call/contact us.
If you have any questions about joining or how you can become involved with the VFOL as a volunteer, please contact us:
Vashon Friends of the Library
PO Box 403
Vashon, WA 98070
Vashon Library (206) 463-2069