Opened: June 13, 2009
- Shared-use facility also serves Burien City Hall
- Preferred parking for carpools and alternative-fueled vehicles
- LEED Silver Certified, PDF
- Designed by Ruffcorn, Mott, Hinthorne, and Stine
- 32,000 square feet
Special Collections & Equipment
Browse KCLS' largest collection of Northwest history books, periodicals, clipping files, maps, microform, and audio/video materials. Focus: Northwest native peoples, Northwest exploration and the westward movement, Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Central Puget Sound Region
- 1938: Burien's first library opens at SW 9th and 152nd SW; Members pay 25 cents per year to borrow two books and two magazines at a time
- 1943: The library moves into the caretaker's cottage at the Burien Playfield
- 1944: The Burien Library becomes one of the first KCLS branches
- 1993: Opening of a remodeled and expanded 20,000 square-foot library
- 2004: Voters approve funding for an $18 million joint-use facility
- 2009: More than 1,000 people attend the opening of the 32,000 square-foot Burien Library
- 2010: Earns Puget Sound Regional Council's Vision 2040 Award; Edwin F. Guth Award for interior lighting from the International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD); and Masonry Institute of Washington Excellence Awards in Masonry Design
Burien Library Guild
The Burien Library Guild supports the Burien library through membership contributions and their ongoing book sales. All proceeds benefit library programs and services
- Dues: Individual, $5; Family, $10; Business, $25; Lifetime, $50
- Book sales: Ongoing sale in library
- Meetings: Currently meeting online using Zoom.
- Gently used book donations accepted.
- Volunteers and new members are always welcome!
- For more information or to volunteer: please email the Library Guild.
- Connect with the Burien Library Guild on Facebook.
The Burien Library Guild has provided major funding for the Burien Library's Northwest Collection. The Burien Library Guild also provides support for the Boulevard Park and Greenbridge libraries.