10 to Try Reading Challenge
Challenge yourself to read something with 10 to Try, our annual reading challenge!
10 to Try is open to all ages.
How it works
- Read a book in each of 10 categories.
- Track your reading on a 10 to Try bookmark or at kcls.beanstack.org.
- Turn in your completed bookmark at your local library or finish the challenge online by Dec. 31, 2020. Finishers earn a button and are entered into a drawing for a set of books chosen for you by a KCLS librarian!
- Retelling of a fairytale or myth
- Teaches you a new skill
- About a journey
- With a friend
- About a person you’d like to meet
- About nature
- About music or a musician
- About current events
- Recommended by KCLS staff
- By an author whose gender is different from yours
Need ideas or inspiration?
Browse our book picks for the challenge.
Check back each month for new recommendations!
Frequently Asked Questions
10 to Try is a year-long challenge that asks you to read a book in each of 10 categories, keep track of your reading, and share your favorite discoveries with the library and your fellow readers.
- The 2020 categories are:
- Read a Retelling of a Fairytale or Myth
- Read a Book That Teaches You a New Skill
- Read a Book About a Journey
- Read a Book with a Friend
- Read a Book About a Person You’d Like to Meet
- Read a Book About Nature
- Read a Book About Music or a Musician
- Read a Book About Current Events
- Read a Book Recommended by KCLS Staff
- Read a Book by an author whose gender is different from yours
There are two ways to join the challenge.
You can pick up a paper bookmark at your local library to track your reading. When you finish a title in every category, turn in the completed bookmark to any King County Library System location after March 15, 2020 to receive a finisher button and be entered into the grand prize drawing.
Or, you can use our online reading platform, Beanstack. When you’ve finished the online program, visit your local library after March 15, 2020 to receive a finisher button and be entered into the grand prize drawing.
Yes! This year we’re offering a finisher button to everyone who completes the challenge. After March 15, bring your completed bookmark to the library or tell a staff member that you completed the challenge online to pick up your prize.
Everyone who completes the challenge in 2020 will be entered into a drawing for a personalized set of books, selected for you by a KCLS librarian!
Share your progress online with #10totry
Get an idea of what to read next from recent quotes from books.