How to Join
- Sign up for summer reading on our challenge site, Beanstack. Use Beanstack to log the time you and your family members spend reading. Your goal is to read 1,000 minutes between June 1 and August 31.
- Read anything you want. This includes reading to someone else or listening to an audiobook.
- Be sure to visit this page in the summer for details about online summer reading events for you and your family.
Why Summer Reading?
Reading is important for all ages!
- decrease stress
- increase empathy, and
- help your brain stay healthy.
Research shows that children and teens retain their reading skills when they:
- choose their own reading materials and
- read for enjoyment.
Summer is a critical time to keep reading and prevent reading loss when not in school.
Parents and caregivers:
You can encourage reading by setting aside time every day to read together as a family.