All our libraries are air-conditioned. Use our location finder map to find a nearby library and open hours.
Are libraries designated cooling centers?
Sometimes. Local cooling centers are activated when heat risks reach certain levels. The King County Office of Emergency Management (KCOEM) partners with organizations to respond. We collaborate with KCOEM to support this effort. Together, we determine when and where libraries are designated as cooling centers.
When a library is designated as a cooling center, we help spread awareness in the community. Libraries that are activated as cooling centers may have extended open hours. During extended hours, full library services will not be available. Community members can enjoy air-conditioning, electricity, and water fountains.
Local Heat Safety Resources
- Hot weather safety tips from Public Health- Seattle and King County
- Active weather alerts for the King County area from the National Weather Service
- Cooling centers in King County
- Cooling centers in Snohomish County
- Cooling Centers in Pierce County