How do I get certified through the library?
Learn, practice, and prepare to get certified:
- Select the certification you'd like to get from the options on this page.
- Read the objectives and use the learning and practice resources.
- Complete a practice test (in Test mode) with a score of 80% or better.
- Register for an "Exam from Home" (EFH) exam session.
Adobe Certified Professional
Take any single certification. Or, start on a pathway to a dream job with Adobe skills, opens a new window.
Take any single certification. Or start on a pathway to a dream job with digital literacy skills.
Information Technology (IT) Specialist
The IT Specialist program validates entry level IT skills sought after by employers. Take any single certification. Or, start on a pathway to your dream IT Specialist job.
Microsoft Office Specialist
Take any single certification. Or, start on a pathway to a dream job with Office Specialist skills.
Unity Certified User
Take any single certification. Or, start on a pathway to a dream job with Unity skills.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Make sure you have completed a GMetrix practice test (in test mode) with an 80% score or better. (Find the list of available exams and learning resources on our certification page.)
- Make sure your home computer meets the minimum requirements for "Exams from Home (EFH)."
- Make sure you have a:
- functional built-in or external webcam on your computer, and
- government issue photo ID.
To request registration
- Choose an exam date and time on our calendar. (Registration cutoff for a session is one business day before the scheduled exam date.)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “EFH Registration Request." You must include:
- your full name
- the name of the specific certification exam you will be taking
- a screenshot or PDF of your "Test" mode practice exam with score of 80% or better
- the exam date and time
After you request registration
- We'll confirm your registration by email within one business day.
- You must have a Certiport account to take the exam; create one free on Certiport's website.
- Read the Certiport Test Candidate Guide.
On Day of the Exam
- About 30 minutes before exam time, you will get an email with two links and instructions:
- One link will connect you to a private video call through a browser. This step allows us to confirm your identity with government issue photo ID.
- The other link connects you to the Exam from Home session.
Browse the certifications offered on our Certifications page. Then, click the title of the certification you would like to get. Read all the information on how to learn, practice, and certify for that subject.
We offer resources, programs, and services to help you get certified.
The Washington State Library and the King County Library System Foundation support this program.
All learning resources, exam inventory, and exam sessions are free to KCLS patrons. You will need your KCLS library card number and PIN to access some resources. If you don’t have one, get a KCLS Library card.
A company called Certiport awards the certifications. Major companies hire Certiport to develop and manage the certifications for them. You can learn more about Certiport on their website.
There is no limit on how many certifications you can get overall, but it is recommended you study and certify for one at a time. This could be anywhere from 4-8 weeks.
Reasonable accommodation, opens a new window for people with disabilities is available by request for all events. Contact the library at least seven days before the event if you need accommodation. Send your request to email@example.com, opens a new window.