Date of Origin: 9/91
Date(s) of Revision: 6/93, 4/02, 12/03, 8/08
The King County Library System (KCLS) strives to provide library users with access to computer and printing services. This policy outlines the ways in which the public are expected to use these resources, as well as the limitations placed on the amount of time and printing.
STATEMENT OF POLICY
The following rules govern the use of KCLS’ public computers:
- King County residents and other eligible borrowers are required to obtain a KCLS library card to use public
computers. These individuals must use their own library card number only to log on.
- Visitors to King County and those who are ineligible for a KCLS library card, including individuals in non‐reciprocal
borrowing areas, may obtain a one‐year PC Only — Ineligible Card by presenting valid photo ID with birth date.
Patrons that fail to comply with these rules will be asked to leave the library.
- Each KCLS library sets an individual daily time limit for patrons based on local demand and public computer
- Patrons may use up to the maximum minutes per day on the public computers at each library depending on site
- Patrons may reserve a public computer up to two (2) days in advance at any library on site, by telephone, or
online at www.kcls.org.
- Only one reservation can be made at a time. The first reservation must be used before another can be scheduled.
- Reservations are held for 10 minutes, after which public computers become available for use by others. A missed
reservation counts as 10 minutes of the total time available to a patron daily.
- Public computers will automatically log off at closing.
KCLS cannot guarantee the performance or reliability of the public computers or the software on them. All copyright laws apply when using public computers and the Internet in the library.
- Patrons with an all-access KCLS library account are allowed $11.25 for printing at no charge each week (Sunday through Saturday). This ‘allowance’ does not cumulate or roll over.
- Individuals with a PC Only — Ineligible Card are allowed $11.25 for printing at no charge each week.
- Printing from the KCLS catalog and online databases are also charged to the weekly print allowance (for all-access accounts and PC Only — Ineligible Cards).
- Printing in black and white will deduct .15 per page from the allowance.
- Printing in color will deduct .50 per page from the allowance.
- Patrons using the Envisonware pay to print kiosk, when connected to a copier, may also pay for copying from their weekly $11.25 allowance.
- Public computer printing is directed to a network printer. Patrons may claim their print jobs using their library account number and PIN at a Print Release station.
- Patrons using personal devices are invited to use print.kcls.org in order to log into their library accounts and use the library printers, or save to a storage device, and then use a public computer to claim the print job.
- Staff will not change paper for custom printing projects for patrons. Staff will assist patrons in finding commercial printing businesses that provide these services.
DEFINITIONS (if applicable)
PC Only — Ineligible Card: A card issued only to individuals that are not eligible for a KCLS library card, including
those in non‐reciprocal borrowing areas.
Valid Photo ID: Acceptable examples of photo ID include with birth date a driver’s license (current or expired),
Washington state ID card, passport, U.S. military ID, or matricula consular (issued by the Mexican government).
Computer Block: Suspension of all computer use and printing privileges across the Library System for an official