It might not feel like it, what with the dense, ominous clouds perpetually hovering over our corner of the country, but summer is just around the corner! I promise! In preparation for the longer, warmer, lazier days ahead, I've been spending stormy nights indoors by the glow of my laptop, crafting the summertime playlist of my dreams on Freegal.
For those not in the know, Freegal is a free and legal (free+legal=Freegal! Get it?!) music service available from KCLS. You can download up to 5 songs per week (the count resets every Monday) and then they're yours forever. Plus, KCLS cardholders can stream music for up to 12 hours per day.
Best of all, Freegal lets you build playlists of your favorite songs, which taps into my eternal mixtape nostalgia in a major way. It's super easy, too.
To create a playlist:
- Click on “My Playlists” under “Streaming” on the left side of the page.
- At the top center of the page, click on the “+” symbol next to “Saved Playlists.”
- Name your playlist (ex. “The Sounds of Summer”) and describe it (ex. “sunny day super happy music!!”).
- In that box, click on “Create New Playlist” and your playlist is ready to add music.
- Click on the “Home” page and start looking for music to add.
- To add an individual song, click on the album cover image until you see a play arrow and =+ sign. Pressing the =+ will allow you to add the song to your chosen playlist.
- To add an entire album, move your cursor over an album cover and a =+ will appear. Click on that, and then add to your playlist of choice.
Check out the summer playlist I've been working on! You'll probably be prompted to enter your card number and PIN first, but then the grooving can commence.
A word of warning before you click that link, however: I totally inherited the musical taste of my parents and none of these songs are less than 30 years old. But if you can think of a song that puts you in a sunshiney state of mind better than Bill Withers' "Lovely Day," I'd love to hear it!