As you start planning your New Year's Resolutions, don't forget to think about reading! While reading more often is a great goal, we also hope you'll think about reading broadly. Our annual reading challenge, 10 to Try, is designed to help you do just that.
Here are the categories for next year's challenge, along with some suggestions and resources to help you get started:
- Read a book about history (KCLS Recommends: Historical Fiction | KCLS Recommends: History and Politics)
- Read a children’s book (Staff Picks and more)
- Read a book about a subject that can be difficult to discuss (Homelessness | Sports and Politics | #MeToo | Race in America)
- Read a book of poetry (Washington State Poets | 2018 National Book Award for Poetry)
- Read a book by a journalist (Nonfiction by Journalists)
- Read a book recommended by KCLS Staff (Best Books | Staff Picks blog | BookMatch)
- Read a book by an LGBTQ+ author (Memoirs by Queer Men | Books by Queer Writers of Color)
- Read a book about a crime (KCLS Recommends: Mysteries | KCLS Recommends: True Crime)
- Read a book about family (Dysfunctional Fictional Families)
- Read a book by an immigrant author (Fiction by Immigrant Authors | Nonfiction by Immigrant Authors)
How do I participate?
As in past years, participation is super easy: pick up a 10 to Try bookmark at your local library or track your reading online using Beanstack. When you've read a book in each of the categories, turn in your bookmark at your library to pick up a finisher button! Buttons are available beginning March 15.
Is there a prize?
In addition to a button for every finisher, we're offering a new grand prize drawing this year! Thanks to the KCLS Foundation, three 10 to Try finishers will win a set of books picked out just for them by a KCLS librarian. Think of it as a BookMatch that you get to keep! You have until December 31, 2019 to finish the challenge; grand prize winners will be announced in early January.
Where can I find books to complete each category?
Suggested titles or resources for each category are linked above, but you're not limited to those picks! We'll be blogging about 10 to Try all year, and each episode of the new season of The Desk Set podcast will feature one of the challenge categories. We hope you'll join us for another year of discovering wonderful new reads!