Computer Booking & Printing Policy
The King County Library System (KCLS) strives to provide library users with access to computer and
printing services. This policy outlines the ways in which the public are expected to use these resources,
as well as the limitations placed on the amount of time and printing.
The following rules govern the use of KCLS’ public computers:
- King County residents and other eligible borrowers are required to obtain a KCLS library card to
use public computers. These individuals must use their own library card number only to log on.
- Visitors to King County and those who ineligible for a KCLS library card, including individuals in
non-reciprocal borrowing areas, may obtain a one-year PC Only - Ineligible Card by presenting valid photo ID with birth date.
Failure to comply with these rules will result in suspension of public computer use privileges.
- Each KCLS library sets an individual daily time limit for patrons based on local demand and
public computer availability.
- Patrons may use up to the maximum minutes per day on the public computers at each library
depending on site time limits.
- Patrons may reserve a public computer up to two (2) days in advance at any library on site, by
telephone, or online at www.kcls.org.
- Only one reservation can be made at a time. The first reservation must be used before another
can be scheduled.
- Reservations are held for 10 minutes, after which public computers become available for use by
others. A missed reservation counts as 10 minutes of the total time available to a patron daily.
- Public computers will automatically log off at closing.
KCLS cannot guarantee the performance or reliability of the public computers or the software on them. All copyright laws apply when using public computers and the Internet in the library.
- Patrons with a KCLS library card are allotted 75 print units per week (Sunday through Saturday).
- Individuals with a PC Only â€” Ineligible Card are allotted 75 print units per week.
- Printing from the KCLS catalog and online databases is included in the weekly print allotment (for library cards and PC Only â€” Ineligible Cards).
- Printing in color is available for three (3) print units per page.
- Public computer printing is directed to a network printer. Patrons may claim their print jobs using their library card number and PIN at a Print Release station.
- No network printing is provided for personal wireless laptops. Patrons must save to a storage device and then use a public computer to claim the print job.
- Staff will not change paper for custom printing projects for patrons. Staff will assist patrons in finding commercial printing businesses that provide these services.