Date of Origin: 8/98
Date(s) of Revision: 8/98, 3/00, 12/01, 4/03, 8/06, 1/07, 12/09, 2/10, 11/11, 4/13
The King County Library System (KCLS) welcomes every member of the community to use and enjoy the Library System’s facilities, collections, programs and services. Because libraries are public places designed to serve people of all ages with a wide range of interests, this policy defines prohibited behaviors that could be expected to interfere with the safe, secure and respectful use of KCLS libraries.
STATEMENT OF POLICY
The following observable behaviors and activities are not allowed:
Any activity that unreasonably interferes with others’ use and enjoyment of the library, including but not limited to:
- Use of hostile or aggressive language or gestures
- Loud talking or boisterous physical behavior
- Using electronic or communication devices in a manner that is disruptive to others
- Wearing insufficient clothing (e.g. no top, no bottom, no shoes) while in the library
- Bodily hygiene or scent so offensive as to constitute a nuisance to others
- Interfering with the free passage of staff or patrons in or on library premises
- Sales and solicitation
- Consuming food and beverages that are prohibited in the Food and Beverage Guidelines
- Bringing animals other than service animals into the library
Using library materials, equipment, fixtures, furniture, buildings or grounds in any manner that:
- Is inconsistent with normal library uses (e.g. bathing, shaving, washing clothes)
- Can be expected to damage library property or the property of others
- Is likely to cause personal injury to one’s self or others (e.g. walking in the library without footwear,skateboarding in the library)
- Involves locating signs, posters, bills or other advertising devices on public property or within public easements or street right‐of‐way (King Co. Code 21A.20.120(C))
- Disobeying the direction of a library staff member when asked to stop a prohibited behavior or when requested to leave for violations of this or other KCLS policies.
Any observable behavior that is prohibited by law, including but not limited to:
- Smoking in the library or within 25 feet of the library
- Viewing or printing illegal materials (e.g. child pornography)
- Selling or using alcohol or drugs
- Threatening or harassing behavior (e.g. fighting or threatening to fight, brandishing a weapon, stalking, verbally threatening to harm others or their property)
- Assaulting staff or other patrons
- Sexual misconduct or harassment (e.g. exposure, offensive touching, sexual acts)
- Theft of library materials or items belonging to staff and/or other library users
Library staff will intervene to stop prohibited activities and behaviors. Failure to comply with this and any other established KCLS policies could result in restriction of library privileges, immediate removal from the premises or exclusion from the library for a period of one day to one year, or in arrest or prosecution.
DEFINITIONS (if applicable)
Sales: Any wholesale, retail, service or similar activity that could result in the exchange of money or offer monetary gain to the person(s) distributing the product or service.
Solicitation: The act of requesting money, credit, goods or merchandise for any purposes.