How You Can Help
|Make a Donation
Buy Used Books
Join Our Mailing List
There are a number of ways you can contribute to the Foundation and help fund programs that reach out to at-risk youth, adults, and families.
- Online - Make a secure donation online.
- By Mail - Print out a donation form that you can mail in with your donation.
- By Phone - call 425-369-3448 to make a donation with your credit or debit card.
Our libraries are community centers - places to meet, discuss books and issues, learn new skills, talk with local officials, use a computer, and greet neighbors and friends. Free access to books, ideas, resources, and information is imperative for the development of education, employment, enjoyment, and self-government.
Libraries connect us with information and ideas. People of all ages and backgrounds - more than one million residents in total - benefit from the King County Library System. KCLS is the second busiest library in the entire country. Yet, as our population increases, our community's needs outpace our library system's ability to meet the continuing demand.
Your gift to the KCLS Foundation can support current literacy and lifelong learning programs or endow future programs. Donations can be made in cash, securities, real estate, tangible personal property, or other assets. Many employers will match your gift. In some cases, you can offer long-term support to the KCLS Foundation while receiving tax benefits that meet your income and estate planning needs.
You can make an honorary gift to recognize a birthday, graduation, anniversary, or other special occasion or make a memorial gift in your loved one's name via any of the methods listed above.
What would you like to do?
- Find out how to make a Charitable Bequest through your will or revocable living trust?
- Look into a Beneficiary Designation gift as an alternative to a bequest?
- Learn about additional giving options?
- Get details on the Literary Legends Society that recognizes planned gift donors?
- As a Professional Advisor, obtain facts to help a client?
If you have a question or wish to get in touch with someone at the KCLS Foundation regarding a possible planned gift, please contact Cindy Sharek, Director of Major and Planned Gifts, by email or at 425.369.3225.
Many area businesses uncluding King County Library System, King County Employee Charitable Campaign, United Way, and Washington State Combined Fund Drive provide donors with a convenient way to support the KCLS Foundation through payroll deductions.
Additionally, many companies and organizations, including Amgen, AT&T, Attachmate, Avaya Global Services, Bank of America, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, The Boeing Company, Conner Homes, Costco, ExxonMobil, IBM, Microsoft, Puget Sound Energy, SAFECO, Starbucks, Symetra Financial, and USB generously match their employees' donations.
The Foundation gratefully accepts in-kind donations of goods and services related to our mission and programs.
We invite local businesses, corporations and foundations to support our mission through sponsorships of programs, events and special collections. Your support is recognized on our web page, in our printed materials and in our newsletter.
- Literary Lions Gala – Hundreds of community leaders and library supporters attend the annual fundraising event held at the Bellevue Library.
- Summer Reading program – Each year, 40,000 children sign up for this program. These young readers practice and improve their reading skills during the school break.
- Ready to Read – Workshops, guidebooks and resources provide parents and caregivers the skills to teach preschoolers the skills they need before they learn to read. The Fiestas de Alfabetizacion Temprana (Early Literacy Parties in Spanish) series involves Spanish-speaking parents and their children.
For more information on sponsoring these and other programs, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community and Corporate Naming Opportunities
We welcome discussion with individuals, local businesses, corporations, and foundations about opportunities to name meeting rooms and program areas in our new and existing community libraries.
The Foundation welcomes volunteer service in support of general office activities and for special events. Volunteers also are needed for our annual Literary Lions Award Gala in March. Please contact the Foundation office at 425.369.3448 for more information.
The KCLS Foundation sells used books on several web sites, and now you can check out a list of titles available through ThriftBooks.
Visit www.thriftbooks.com/kclsf and enter the title, author, or subject and you will see available titles. Proceeds from the sale of used books support literacy and lifelong programs in our libraries and in our community.
If you are interested in learning more about the Foundation and supporting literacy outreach programs in the communities we serve, just send an email with your name, address, and telephone number to Claire Wilkinson or call her at 425-369-3448.